Sunday, May 27, 2012

Machine Applique and Embroidery

So I had a big birthday a couple of months ago.  No, I don’t want to talk about it.  Smile  Anyway, I got a couple of really amazing presents.  I actually can’t believe I got both of them. 

 

Emroidery Machine

The first was a Brother se400 Sewing and Embroidery  Machine.

 

Serger

The second was a Brother 1034D Serger.

 

I’m working on learning how to use the embroidery machine.  It is a great first machine because it is also a sewing machine and the price isn’t too outrageous.  The only down side that I can see so far is that it can’t stitch any bigger than a 4”x4” hoop.  So if you want bigger than this save up because most embroidery machines cost over $600!  I don’t see that happening any time soon.

 

So I really like my Brother se400.  It has a great instructional cd too.  There are many helpful tutorials on the internet for learning to machine embroider and applique.  The best one that I found was HERE at Love From Texas.

Jessica gives lots of step by step instructions with photos.  She also links to her favorite sites for buying embroidery patterns.  Very helpful!

I thought that I would start with a free peace sign applique that I found.  I thought since it was round that it would be super easy.

 

DSC_0197

 

  Ummm, I didn’t think about having to cut out the holes in the middle of the peace sign.  Lets just say that it didn’t go so well.  Even though I knew that I would have to be super careful, I still managed to cut a hole in the t-shirt.  Ughhhh! 

 

 

DSC_0201

 

To salvage the shirt, I decided to cut through the other holes as well and sew a green piece of fabric on the inside of the shirt kind of like a reverse applique.  It didn’t turn out too bad.  I had to leave a little bit of the blue t-shirt fabric around the edges of the holes so that the stitching wouldn’t unravel.

 

 

DSC_0202

My girls still liked it so I guess that is all that matters.

For my second attempt my girls wanted a butterfly.  Beautiful, no holes!

 

DSC_0186

Here’s what it looks like with just the fabric pieces sewn down pre-embroidery.

DSC_0193

Here’s what it look like after being embroidered.  I think that it came out pretty cool. 

 

I have to say that I am pretty excited about my new toy. 

I also made some cute Easter Bunny appliqued shirts for all four kiddos.

DSC_0247 - Copy

DSC00296DSC00303DSC00305

Happy Sewing!

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails