Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Happy Birthday Princesses

Something inexplicable happened a few days ago.  My “baby” girls turned five!  How did this happen?  I keep telling them to stop growing but they just laugh and keep right on growing. 

IMG_5014

We had a lovely family party on their actual birthday and they are looking forward to their friend party this weekend.  I made them these cute twirl skirts from Growing Up With Rosie.  I know they are a bit frilly but I figure that they won’t let me get away with it for much longer.  The pattern was very simple and easy to follow.  They only thing I would say about it is that it runs a bit big.  Fortunately, I measured and sewed the one for my smaller girl first and ended up using it for my bigger girl.  I was then able to scale it down a bit more for the smaller one.  Of course you want it big and full and “twirly”.  I think that I would just take a few inches off the length. 

IMG_5122

It also gave me a chance to try appliqué again.  I have been wanting to do appliqué for ages but have always been afraid of getting a nice zigzag stitch all the way around.  Recently I have found a lot of examples of just straight stitching around the appliqué.  Of course with knit appliqué like the dinosaur I did for the boys, it doesn’t matter because knit doesn’t fray.  Even using a straight stitch with cotton fabric is O.K. as long as you know that it will have that frayed look over time.  Guess what, I’m O.K. with that if it means I can finally try my hand at appliqué. 

I appliquéd a cute little cupcake on the peek-a-boo part of the skirt and on a store purchased t-shirt.  I think that they came out really cute and I like the button cherry on top.

IMG_5117  IMG_5111

I also was able to sew this cute little art tote for the girls.  I used a free tutorial from my favorite blog, From and Igloo.  My apologies to Christine for using the exact same fabric.  Lame, I know.  I had been eyeing it and trying to think of something fun to make for the girls with it and then I came across the art tote  tutorial and just had to do it. 

IMG_5109

They totally love them!

IMG_5035 IMG_5036

IMG_5101

Happy Birthday little girls!  Mommy loves you very much!

IMG_5009

 

Signature

7 comments:

  1. I know, 5 years old right? We just put Aimee on the school bus last week and I had to fight tears as she was getting up on to the steps of the bus. It is going all so fast.

    Love the outfits and the cupcakes. What two beauties you have here. Great job mama! (and daddy too...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such CUTE birthday outfits, for super cute girls! :)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are sooo cute. I love those outfits and those art totes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the skirts! i think you may have inspired me to try applique'! i've always been so intimidated by it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable!! Wow, you are the first person I chance upon that has twins 'squared'.!!! Life must be very interesting! Love your creations especially your recent shirts for Japan, the applique are cute.

    Thank you for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails