Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reverse Appliqué

The girls were invited to their cousin’s birthday party last week.  I decided that it would be nice to make a homemade present.  As I mentioned in my last post, I tried appliqué for the first time.  This time I decided to give reverse appliqué a try.  It was actually easier than I thought that it would be.  I followed this wonderful tutorial.
I used a new pink shirt and a cover up that was only worn once before my girls grew out of it.
 IMG_4749
First, cut the shape that you want to appliqué out of paper.  Then cut a square of fabric big enough to fit your shape.   IMG_4751
Turn your shirt inside out and pin the square of fabric to the inside front of the shirt.
IMG_4752
The next step was a bit tricky for me and I had to make a few adjustments.  Turn your shirt right side out and pin your paper shape to the front of the shirt.  Make sure it is over your square of fabric pinned to the inside of your shirt.  The tutorial says to just sew around the edge of your paper shape.  Well my shirt was pulling and tugging as I sewed and I had a very hard time doing this as you can see. 
IMG_4754
I decided to trace the shape with water soluble marker instead.  It is hard to tell, but the blue line to the left is my original stitching and the rest is marker. 
IMG_4756
I knew that my stitch line would be all wonky, so I decided to go with it.  That’s why I chose the blue thread rather than the pink so that it would show up.  I just went with the wobbliness (Yes, that’s a word!) and stitched around the edge twice so that the lines could overlap and look funky.  After you have stitched, carefully pull up the pink shirt only and cut.  Be very careful not to cut your square of fabric underneath.
IMG_4758
Turn your shirt inside out and trim the square of fabric.
 IMG_4761
Viola, a cute little gift!
 IMG_4763
 Of course this will look much nicer once I wash the marker off! :)
Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails