Friday, November 12, 2010

Fleece Hats

IMG_6063
This week I’ve been working on these adorable fleece hats.  They are from a tutorial by Christine at From An Igloo.  The tutorial is very straightforward and these were super easy to sew up. 

IMG_6059
IMG_6031
I especially love how they cover the ears and the back of the neck.
Now I must admit that it took me a few tries to get the sizing right. 

IMG_6065
See what I mean? 
Now the short version of this post is give this tutorial a try because the hats are super cute and super simple.  Just fool around with the sizing until it is right for your kiddos.
IMG_6028
Here is the longer version of this post with details of what worked for me.  Some people commented that the band piece ended up being too short to fit the hat top piece.  The first adjustment I made was to add about 1 1/2” to the band pattern piece.  Now since this piece is cut on the fold I was actually adding about 3” to the band piece.  The pattern size that was given in the tutorial for 2 to 3 year olds was actually too small for my 23 month olds.  (Yes, I have Amazon children.)
IMG_5996
It just didn’t cover their ears enough.
I added 1/2” to the pattern pieces and this was too big.  However, I was able to try this size on my 5 year olds and it fit great so now I knew what size to make them.  So for my third attempt at the dinosaur hat, I adjusted the pattern by just adding 1/4” and this worked out great.  (For the triangle piece, Christine said to only add to one side so I ended up adding half the amount to each side to keep the shape the same.  So if I was adding 1/2”  to the pattern pieces, I added 1/4” to each side of the triangle.  I added 1/2” to the bottom of the triangle and all other sides of the pattern pieces.  Make sense?)  Lastly, I sewed the tassels on the pink hats rather than just tying them on.  I just didn’t feel like they were secure enough without sewing them on.

IMG_6079
Fortunately these are so easy that it’s no problem to sew up a whole bunch!

Signature

2 comments:

  1. I finished my daughter's hat and your post was really helpful, thanks! I only added a 1/4 inch seam allowance and it worked out great for me. I linked your post in my post. Thanks for your detailed info and all the pics.

    http://katieemrich.blogspot.com/2010/12/necessary-distraction.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! These are so cute! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails