Friday, July 30, 2010

Ice Cream Dress Progress

I posted a few weeks ago, that I would be participating in the Ice Cream Social Sew-a-long being hosted over at Badskirt.  Amy has been doing a great job with hosting duties and has offered some very useful tips. 

Here are my pieces all cut out.  It's a bit funky for me but I really wanted to make something with this Amy Butler fabric.  I got approval from my girls so here's hoping it turns out.

IMG_4514 IMG_4517
I decided to give French Seams a try.  Never heard of them before?  Me either!  However, after reading Amy's post on the subject and the great tutorial over at Oliver & S, I was intrigued.  I really do like that there are no unfinished edges in the whole dress if this technique is used on the side seams. 

French Seams were fairly easy.  It did pucker a little under the arm but I think that it will be O.K. when being worn.

IMG_4526 IMG_4527
Here are my finished pockets.  I like the yoke detail on top.  I didn't get too fussy about them and I think they turned out nicely.  Amy also provided a great link for how to make nice curved edges on the pocket.
Few!!!  Attaching the yoke to the bodice was not easy!  I'm still not really sure why I struggled so much with this step.  To hem the sleeves and attach the yoke to the bodice took me 2 hours!!  SERIOUSLY!

I don’t care for how this center back part came out.  I probably should have taken a break and come back to this as others had posted about issues with this step too.  I'm not really sure what to do to make it look better.  That's it for now.  I have one step left, attaching the bottom band.  Oh yeah, and then starting all over again for my other little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails