Tuesday, July 27, 2010

In the Garden Dresses and Easy Zippered Purses


IMG_4421 IMG_4422

I have been wanting to make my girls some “In The Garden Dresses” from the great tutorial over at my favorite blog From an Igloo (go check it out!).  I finally got them done just in time for a special event for my girls this past weekend.  They came out super cute and my girls really love the twirl factor!

IMG_4426

I have to admit that I was a bit intimidated when I first reviewed the tutorial for this dress as it involved two techniques that I had never tried before, making a button hole and shirring!  I did a little research and taught myself how to do it and I think that it came out pretty nice!  I’m a bit proud of myself!

 IMG_4476 

I’m not sure if any of you are familiar with the Fancy Nancy books by Jane O’Connor.  The girls had the opportunity to go to a book reading and signing this past weekend.  It was a “fancy” dress up event which is right up my girls’ alley.  They had a blast in their new dresses.  When I was in Joann’s last week, I noticed that they had some Fancy Nancy fabric.  I thought that it would be fun to whip up some purses for them and their cousins who were also attending the event.  I decided to try the Easy Zippered Purse Tutorial at, you guessed it, From An Igloo!  They came out really cute and the girls where really excited about them.
IMG_4416

One of my girls immediately filled hers with jewels for the big event!  So cute!
 IMG_4420 IMG_4411
Here they are all dressed up for the “Fancy” Day!

Jane O’Connor even commented on their lovely dresses and Fancy Nancy purses!

IMG_4434

The last thing that I wanted to share was a quick tip that I learned a couple of weeks ago for turning purse straps.
Sew a small piece of ribbon to one end of your fabric before you sew it into a tube.  Make sure it is a bit longer than your tube and tuck it into the middle near the fold.

IMG_4402

  Then sew your tube right sides together as you normally would.  Now use your finger to tuck in the end with the ribbon sewn to it.

IMG_4408

 Pull on the ribbon from the other end until your tube is turned right side out!


IMG_4410

1 comment:

  1. Oh we are HUGE Fancy Nancy fans over here. What a nice little pocketbook. Perfect for little girls. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails